Saturday, March 21, 2009

One Wing and Shadowette

My dad and my husband joined a club. High Valley Mountain Men. They shoot black powder, dress in period style (or cowboy hats that have "I Voted" stickers on them), have shoot outs and eat dutch oven potatoes. To be a part of the club, you have to have a club name. My dad chose "One Wing." It comes from an experience of going on a motorcycle trip and having to drive it with one hand due to an injury. My husband chose "Shadow" as his name. Because he mostly enjoys seeing Dad enjoy the whole experience, Richard "shadows" my dad.
"One Wing"


Richard is in Florida and there was a Mountain Man shoot out today. I had the opportunity to be the substitute shadow . . . So, "Shadow-ette" loaded up the chairs, ear plugs, chicken salad & potato rolls (our part of the "bring something to share for lunch". They're probably still laughing. Mountain Men and chicken salad? Real men eat dutch oven potatoes, cornbread, hot dogs and sauerkraut. Chicken salad, HA!)What a riot. Dad didn't take part in the shoot out. We just did targets. Dad shot guns that knock you on your bottom just sitting next to it. I shot my mom's .22 pistol. Bullets not powerful enough knock over the pop cans. Then I tried to shoot Dad's guns. He laughed and I thought we might need to stop at the hospital on the way home to have my shoulder x-rayed.


Be certain to notice the "smoke" as he shoots. That's his favorite part of the photo.


Not a bad shot!
After we had lunch with characters such as Silver Bear, Pokey, and Dead Eye, they brought out the cannon . . . and bowling balls. It was the highlight of the day.

Is it safe to look into the barrel of a gun? How about a CANNON?





This is what happens with 1500 grams of black powder.

After several firings, they decided to go for distance . . . 7500 grams of powder.




Shortly after this one, everyone cleared out quickly. The bowling ball went OVER the mountain. On the other side of the mountain? Purgatory, the Washington County Jail. :D
(Post note: I'm sorry the sound of "FIRE IN THE HOLE", the blast and the boys whooping didn't download. I was recording with my phone)

1 comment:

Jami said...

That sounds like Grandpa is in his element. Those videos were hilarious! Especially the last one.