Thursday, November 20, 2008

Thankful

I love Thanksgiving. I loved it as a kid when we would spend it with my mother's sister's family. It was a great time as we'd load up in the station wagon and head "down home" to have dinner with our favorite cousins, our only cousins within 10 years of own age. Aunt Bernitta and Mom were so much fun when they were together. They'd laugh and sing and joke and fix Thanksgiving dinner.
I hardly remember the food, but I remember the road games we played and the traveling songs we sang to pass the four hours of travel. I remember being very "proud" when I was finally old enough to sleep in the "girls' room" rather than the "kids' room". I remember looking for the right pickles on Aunt Bernitta's basement storage shelves. I remember wanting to be the first to choose a "character" spoon from big brown jar to eat breakfast with. I remember wall to wall kids and tables that stretched from the kitchen to the front door, when we all sat down to eat. We sang songs and endlessly played "heart and soul" on the out of tune honky tonk piano. I remember a one and only small black and white tv that served everyone in the house. I remember sincerely hoping the only bathroom was free of occupants when it was time to "go" or you'd get directed to the two seater outhouse and that was bad.
Mostly I remember that we had a ball, we loved each other, and we were sad when it was time to sojourn back home. I loved that time and am thankful for the memories that have lingered of family, favorite cousins, and Aunt Bernitta's pickles.

3 comments:

Michelle said...

i remember thanksgiving with all the coons side together and crafts and having so much fun! then everyone had to move down south and desert us! :)

Nan said...

That is true...all those memories! I remember wanting to get to those pickles but DID NOT want to journey down the stairs to get them! A couple of weeks ago I taught Courtney how to play Shenanigans on the piano and I thought of Aunt Bernitta's rag time piano. Fun memories!

The beach IS real life said...

You're right-the basement was scary. Confession-I never went alone and I never took anyone younger than me. They had to be big enough to ward of the boogie man or be more desirable to him than little old me!